Sunday, October 24, 2010

A burger a day will keep the doctor away...I wish.

A few weeks ago, before my debilitating injury, a friend and I were contemplating our dinner options one night after heading back from test driving electric cars at an amazing Israeli company called, Better Place. They are integrating the first national system for electric cars in Israel. As Aaron and I sat on the bus together, still riveted from our driving experience (we had been out of the US for about 3 weeks at this point), we had a hankering for some meat. Sitting on our phones, we started googling burger joints in Tel Aviv. After finding a suitable list to go on, we started narrowing down based on location -- it was still about 94 and humid at night and we were not looking to sweat on the walk to dinner. After finding a solid review, and a mouth watering picture of a burger, we settled on a small chain called Agadir - with a location right down the street from our apartment. 
After jumping off the bus and freshening up a little, Aaron and I walked the 5 blocks or so to the restaurant, on Nachalat Binyamin. Opting for sitting inside in a ale house/pub sort of feeling decor, the restaurant also boasts an outdoor seating area that on my last two trips there, has been very nice. Seated on bar stools at a high table in the corner, our mouths started to water as we perused the menu. The review we had read said the Diana Burger - a patty of half lamb and half beef with tomatoes and aioli - was the way to go. Being a lover of lamb, I graciously accepted the task of ordering the Diana to fulfill my craving, adding the toppings of sauteed onions and mushrooms. Aaron opted for the sliders -- three mini beef burgers each smothered in a different topping of your choice (Aaron got guacamole and sautéed onions, I cannot remember the third). We decided on splitting an order of shoestring french fries as well.
Now let me tell you, I am a burger scholar. I have been eating the best cheeseburgers in the world since I could chew. My father, in one of his crafty ways to spoil me with the best food-wine-alcohol-cars-travel he could provide so I can never find a man to marry who can provide the same, has done an amazing job with serving me some of the most delicious burgers I have ever eaten. Kobe beef, lamb, spiced -- everything you can think of topped in countless sauces, cheesed and toppings...I've had it all. I have never been a fan of fast food, and pretty much refuse to eat beef unless it comes from a trusted source - leaving me to only enjoy In-and-Out and Shake Shack as fast food burger options. While Agadir does not in any way serve as fast food, the chain aspect relegates it into this realm somewhat. 

I have never had a burger like the Diana burger from Agadir in my life.
Let me say that again, NEVER have I had a burger like the one from Agadir.
The burger is a perfect balance of lamb and beef and spiced to perfection! The beef adds the classic burger taste, while the lamb adds a refinement and flavor level that is not like anything I have tasted before. Combined with the toppings (there are countless ones to choose from, including cheese AND bacon -- we later tried the bacon and were BIG fans), this burger was mouther watering and required to be cut to eat. The home made russian dressing added the perfect overflow of flavor combined with the aioli and a hint of hot sauce from the home made harif (spices in Hebrew). The fries, crisp to perfection! Smothered in the russian dressing and harif - the perfect compliment to the overflowing juicy burger.







Are you drooling yet????



Aaron, a native of LA, agreed completely. As a lover of In-and-Out, he was even blow away by the delectability of the burgers. He had to finish my burger, along with his own - but totally worth it. And the two best parts - the burgers + a beer (during happy hour) + a larger fries + tip ran us both about 100 NIS (relatively 25$). Pretty damn good if you ask me...oh, and they have free delivery!
I have returned to Agadir twice since being able to walk again - and I have ordered the same burger each time. It was also the first solid food I ate when I returned home from the hospital. That says a lot...my comfort food list is very small and I'm very picky abut it. The take-out burgers are just as good. If you like burgers, this is the place for you.

A foodie plug -- A friend of mine here works for a fabulous company called TasteTLV. They have a website for english speakers in Tel Aviv with restaurant reviews and information on where to go out. They also have a baller blog which Andrea writes for. Check them out for more suggestions and information. And my blog is also linked with theirs so feel free to click the link on the side for direct access.

2 comments:

  1. This gene, responsible for a fascination with dead animal parts, was not inherited from me, that's for sure. But the love of food, the obsession with taste, the joyfulness of eating with friends, yes, I will say that Lena and I share that deeply inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A) THOSE PICTURES ARE MAKING ME HUNGRY!!!
    B) I LOVE shake shack! if you walk down Bourgashov towards the beach there's a sign that says "Shu Shack coming soon" and I am curious as to whether a possible Shake Shack knock-off is coming to Tel Aviv? I'll have to investigate...
    C) Thanks for the plug :)

    ReplyDelete